Monday, March 7, 2011

Missed Connections



I love Sophie Blackwell's idea of using Missed Connections posts as inspiration for her whimsical watercolors. On her site, also called Missed Connections, she calls these ads the modern day equivalent of "smoke signals" or "messages in a bottle"... sad, hopeless, yet ultimately hopeful.

What really caught my eye about this particular drawing was the hat the man is wearing. About 5 years ago, I spent a month teaching English in Kyrgyzstan, and it was one of those places for which I as well as just about everyone I knew had little to no context for. In fact, I referred to being on "Planet Kyrgyzstan" and my co-worker Thom who's really a beekeeper masquerading as a singer masquerading as a ceramics instructor always referred to it as "Fill-in-the-blankistan." How fabulous that years later, there'd be a traditional Kyrgiz hat in a rendering of a Missed Connections ad!

No comments:

Post a Comment