Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Seed of Life



One of my new favorite art forms are the botanical illustrations on seed packets, especially these lovely ones from Renee's Gardens and Botanical Interests.



Before I started planting things from seed, I never thought much about the various shapes of seeds and how that is yet another way that you can see how various plants are related to each other.



These spiky guys are beet seeds but then if you look at the seeds for Swiss chard, they are the same shape so you know these two plants, which I wouldn't have thought were related, are in the same family.



My new favorite plant family is the Brassicas with these little dark round seeds. These are comprised of fast growing leafy greens like collards, kale, cabbage, broccoli raab, bok choy, etc. Not only are the seeds similar looking, the starts, when they first emerge from the soil, also begin life similarly. But what I really love about Brassicas is how easy they are to grow and how good they are to eat and good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment