Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Jill of All Trades

If I had to count up all the various hobbies or skills I've tried to cultivate over the years in search of "the thing at which I'm effortlessly brillant," I'm not sure how long the list would be. Let's see. It would include ceramics, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese painting, photography, watercolors, drawing, silk screening, stamping, card making, computer graphics, knitting, crocheting, snorkeling, scuba diving, surfing, volleyball, running, kayaking, and now biking and gardening. The negative side of me would say I've got adult ADD but the positive spin would be that I have a Renaissance spirit.



The latest incarnation takes the form of collage. Collage is a pretty low key investment. All you need are some images, paper, glue, some kind of sealer, and sharp scissors and you're set. I took the class through ArtEast, an artists' cooperative in Issaquah, WA: http://arteast-education.org/MM_MixedMediaCollage.aspx I decided to do my collages in remembrance of my trip to Paris last winter, mixing up some of my mementos along with some pictures that the instructor had. At the end of the day, I'm not sure what the difference is between collage as art and scrapbooking as hobby but nevertheless, it was fun to give it a whirl.


No comments:

Post a Comment