Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's helpful to be able to see when taking an online class

One of my online students today was having trouble finding an assignment in our class. She emailed me and sent me screen shots of where she was looking. By seeing the screen shots, I could see that she was looking in the wrong folder; hence, she couldn't find the document. I emailed her back letting her know to look in the correct folder and no reply. I assumed the problem was solved.

Today, she emails me again with the same question. She could not find the document for the assignment due today. I told her to just call me as clearly she wasn't seeing what I meant. Little did I know how true that was, literally. When I finally spoke to her, she told me that she had to have eye surgery recently and couldn't really see. And that's why she couldn't find the document or for that matter, read the emails I'd sent her instructing where she should look.

Now not being able to see would be really a nuisance in a traditional face-to-face class but at least a person could get some direct instruction and help. But in an online class? Where you have to read EVERYTHING in order to do the assignments? Sometimes I just don't get students....

No comments:

Post a Comment