Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Writing Process


When I teach students about writing, one of the first things we cover is the writing process.  Rather than thinking of writing as a clap of inspiration, there are steps that anyone, inspired or not, can take and should said writer follow the steps diligently, the end result should be a satisfactory piece of writing.  These steps are prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing although I'm pretty sure what the students hear when I tell them is "Wah wah wah wah wah" a la Charlie Brown.

The other day I was in Port Townsend, WA, for the lovely and creative Rachel P's wedding and beforehand, was wandering around town (as apparently were many of her other guests) when I came across a store called "The Writer's Workshoppe." There I found what I now believe to be the real writing process: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.  I have a hybrid class where students start off the first paper discussing it online and boy, did I see steps 1-4 in spades. The other treasure I found there will be the next lesson for my students: a list of rules that explains "How to Write Good" with such classic advice like "avoid alliteration always," "one should never generalize," and "eschew obfuscation."  Yes, it's geeky English humor at its best.  I'm not sure they'll find it as funny as I but then, that's never stopped me before!



No comments:

Post a Comment