Friday, August 19, 2011

Fresh from the Farm This Week

I wish I could share smells on this blog because this week, I was cutting back the herbs I've been growing so I had bunches of thyme, stalks of dried sage flowers with seeds ready to fall off, and bunches of rosemary. It smelled amazing!



I also started clearing out the rest of the favas and pulling up the few carrots and beets that took this year to get ready for some fall planting. There were leaves from the broccoli raab that had somehow seeded itself as well as some black Tuscan kale. New this week were the grape leaves which I used to wrap pieces of salmon for baking.



I was finally able to harvest the garlic that I planted in the spring. This crop didn't grow as well as I hoped, with a lot of the bulbs being pretty small but given that my friend said most of his had rotted in the ground, I was glad to get at least a few of these lovely pinky purply guys.



All in all, the garden's feeling a bit bare with the cool crops all pulled up and the summer crops not quite ready since there has been barely enough heat for the tomatoes and peppers and corn. But I'm looking ahead and sowing new fall crops: radishes, Chinese cabbage, collards, so hopefully there'll be more harvesting to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment